FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES IN DEMLAND

We live amongst a tribal group known as the Dem who are located in the mountains of Southeast Asia. We are here to learn their language, translate the Bible into their language, and teach them about God. If you would you like to receive our monthly newsletter, send us an email at: dylan_vanrensburg@ntm.org

Friday, August 21, 2009

Well tonight we attended our last independence celebration. Last Sunday night we joined our neighborhood in a party that last all night for some (till 11 for Raquel and I and 12:30 for Dylan:) On Tuesday Raquel and I went to a party at her school, and yesterday we all went downtown for a parade/carnival. Tonight was a party held at our school with our teachers and fellow classmates. Of course, as with all these events, there were games. The first was krupuk (a kind of chip) eating contest. The chips were hung from strings and each contestant tried to finish their chip the fastest without using their hands. The men went first and then the women. I am a little embarassed to confess that I won the women's contest (I would win an eating contest). Below I am pictured in the championship round. The lady on the left, who was my runner up, beat us all, but the fun didn't stop there...


Raquel had fun running around with the other kids and got incredibly dirty.

This next game was hilarious on all sorts of levels. The men have a type of eggplant hanging from a string around their waists and the object of the game was to hit the ball in front of them with the vegetable to the other side of the court.
The women tried it after the men and, again, I wound up in the championship round. I guess I'm good at games that require absolutely no skill, but not that great - the girl behind me ended up winning - Way to go Heather!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for a good laugh. That is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Angie- way to represent

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Angie. And you thought you weren't athletic!!
Mom:)