FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES IN DEMLAND

We live amongst a tribal group known as the Dem who are located in the mountains of Southeast Asia. We are here to learn their language, translate the Bible into their language, and teach them about God. If you would you like to receive our monthly newsletter, send us an email at: dylan_vanrensburg@ntm.org

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cutie pies and Papeda

Our church had shirts made for all the kids as it was promotion Sunday the other week.
Aren't they cute?:)
 Yesterday I attended the ladies meeting for our church and had my first experience with papeda.  I somehow have been able to avoid it until now, but yesterday I tried it.  Wow, um, well.

The papeda is the gelatinous blob of goo sitting to the left of the rice.  It is a staple food here and is made from the sago tree.  They say it has a glue-like texture, but I would have to say it has a phlegm-like texture.  You're supposed to just suck it down your throat, no chewing.  You know when you have a really bad cold and, all of a sudden, the back of your throat fills up with mucus and you are no where near any place you could spit it out so you do what you gotta do? yeah, it's like that.

This is my plate, and I was only able to eat maybe half of it.
 This is how much everyone else takes!
 Just to give you an example of what it looks like while you're eating. Yum Yum:)
The people are, thankfully, very understanding that papeda is not our first choice when selecting our food.  I was able to just finish up my rice and green beans mixed with papaya leaves (extremely bitter) and call it a day:)

Kendra and I were thinking that there have to be things we eat in the States that would be a gross texture to those not used to it.  We couldn't think of any, can you?

6 comments:

Amy Simon said...

Cottage cheese. :)

Tirzah Van Rensburg said...

Looks terrible. I wonder if it is healthy for you. I wonder if they would eat tripe. That just looks awful and it is meat. I was standing in a Butchers shop one day and the lady in front of me ordered tripe. Well that was just enough to put me off for the rest of my life. Looks gross.
Keep up with all the stories. Nice to read. How is Angie's leg. We are very worried about it. Would love to see that it is healing properly. Please let me know if there is anything that we can get from the doctor to send you.

Joni said...

I hate the texture of cottage cheese as well. And grits.

Joni said...

I hate the texture of cottage cheese as well. And grits.

Elise said...

oh gross

The G's said...

Herring. (sp?). And it took me years to get use to polish sausage, probably until I married a polish.